Thursday, April 12, 2007

Also, she's not actually perky. One of her assistants is.

"CBS Evening News" anchor Katie Couric may vividly recall her first library card, but the network says she was unaware that her online video essay about the virtues of libraries was largely a work of plagiarism.

CBS News said this week the April 4 installment of "Katie Couric's Notebook" consisted mostly of passages lifted verbatim from a Wall Street Journal column by Jeffrey Zaslow that was published in March.
--Reuters


What can we learn from this? A) If you're going to steal, take from something a tad more obscure than the WSJ, and B) something less recent than a month old. Oh, and C) sometimes first-person celebrity reminiscences aren't really first person.

This reminds me of when I wrote my first novel, How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life. It turned out that I swiped most of it from two novels by Megan McCafferty. Boy, did I get in trouble! The book got canceled, and I found myself excoriated by virtually everyone. But I learned my lesson.

UPDATE: Sorry, the entry above was written by Kaavya Viswanathan. I really have to stop contracting out these posts.

No comments: