Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Outrage fatigue

So there's an article that went up on Salon today, "Exposing Bush's historic abuse of power," that sounds as if it might be important. The description: "Salon has uncovered new evidence of post-9/11 spying on Americans. Obtained documents point to a potential investigation of the White House that could rival Watergate."

But I just can't read it. I can't. I'm tired of being outraged all the time at this administration. It's exhausting. I start to read this and my eyes glaze over.

Maybe someone could just summarize it for me, and give me bullet points on the most egregious acts? That way, I can save time in working up to a high dudgeon.

Sigh.

IMMEDIATE UPDATE: The Onion weighs in on this phenomenon.

6 comments:

A said...

Welcome to the world of people who no longer care about the society. Being in India does numb your sensitivities and sense of outrage, though I also must add that the scale is usually smaller!

well, cheers!!!

Jim Donahue said...

Cheers? That reminds me--I really should drink more.

A said...

that'd depend on what it is that that you should drink!

so long it's not red and viscous!

:D

Dave said...

Dahlia Lithwick did a piece this week at Slate.com on, loosely, people that want a war crimes tribunal against most of the Administration and those that want us to just forget what they did.

I found myself, to my shame, siding with the latter.

fermicat said...

I think they have figured out the key to getting away with it. They do so much shady stuff, but usually not anything that, taken alone, would warrant impeachment or other punishment. Then they just pile on with more and more of it, bit by bit. It is outrageous, but dribbling out the outrageous acts leads to the fatigue we are all feeling.

I just can't wait for them to be out of there.

NYPinTA said...

I just added a new gadet to my iGoogle. How long till Bush is gone. It can't be soon enough.