Sunday, November 15, 2009

A matter of life and death


Or, rather, A Matter of Life and Death: My all-time fave film, which I've plugged on this blog a few times before, will be on Turner Classic Movies in the middle of the night tonight--3 a.m. Monday, to be exact, though check your listings if you're not on the East Coast. Set those DVRs or VCRs.

Here's that remarkable opening scene again:



Also, I'm going to assume TCM's programmers have a sense of humor. A Matter of Life and Death is followed by The Age of Consent, the name of the last film directed by Michael Powell, half the team behind AMOLAD. Only it's not Powell's Age of Consent, but a movie with the same title from 1932. That couldn't possibly be a coincidence, could it? The odds seem pretty much astronomical.

5 comments:

MsYvone said...

As TCM is a sister network, I may be able to find that out for you. I'd say chances are it isn't a coincidence.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

It happens that this is the week that Netflix delivered this movie to me. I'm about halfway through it. I'll not comment until I have see it all.

TwoBusy said...

That you again for steering me towards AMOLAD. Great, great movie.

JohnnyB said...

I can't even find this movie on Blockbuster online

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Jim --

Thanks for the prompt over at my place. I did finally get around to seeing AMOLAD. As I said there, I can see why you would love it, but I did not love it the same as you. High technical merits. Good story. But the portrayal of the Franch angel was -- how shall I put it? -- annoying.

I found the counter-anti-British sentiment interesting. Given the events of the current, modern era, I wonder if this movie could be made the same way today -- or whether it would have to be given a counter-anti-American agenda.