Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Number of movies I've seen that are up for Oscars this year

One.* (List here.)

There was a time I used to go to the movies about twice a month. Now I pretty much wait for everything to come out on DVD.

It's not the same, I know.



*Of the major categories--picture, director, actor, actress, supporting actor, supporting actress, screenplay--not the techier awards.


UPDATE: Whoops, I didn't mean this to be a mystery. The only one of the major nominees I've seen is Away from Her, with nominee Julie Christie, who might actually have a shot at winning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are we to guess which one? I'll say Juno.

Jim Donahue said...

Not yet--but I'd like to see that one with an audience, so I doubt I'll wait for DVD. Maybe this weekend.

The only one I saw was Away from Her, which is is up for Best Actress (Julie Christie) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Sarah Polley). And yes, I saw it on DVD.

Christie is terrific (as a woman with Alzheimer's) and well deserves the nomination. I found the screenplay a bit disjointed. The narrative's time structure is fractured--which has a point, but I found it a little difficult to follow.