Tuesday, October 17, 2006

"Saucer-eyed tot ingratiates self with shiny-domed war profiteer"

I love The New Yorker. Well, I love the nonfiction, the commentary, and the cartoons. The fiction? Eh, not so much.

Emdashes, your blog guide to all things New Yorker, pointed me to the Cartoon Bank, where you can buy prints (or very pricey originals) of NYer cartoons.

What I find amusing and odd--I'm sure there's an explanation for this, but I can't figure it out on my own--are the descriptions that accompany each cartoon: "Doorman talking to call girl as he prepares to announce her arrival." "Samson holding back the doors as he exits the elevator." Etc.) Visual descriptions for the blind??? I'm not sure they're big cartoon fans, in general.

I'm assuming my subject-line reference is obvious enough--how's 'bout you write the gags today and leave other deadpan descriptions for famous cartoon strips in comments?

One more: Prematurely bald, fashion-challenged child relates poorly to peers, especially while trying to kick footballs or direct Christmas pageants.

(For more cartoony fun, visit The Comics Curmudgeon.)

5 comments:

Jim Donahue said...

You know, pimping for comments and not getting any is humiliating.

unclewilly said...

OK, OK . . .

Surly child in high chair deliberately misidentifies and curses vegetable

unclewilly said...

Oh, and of course . . .

Round-headed child duped into football kicking attempt that ends badly

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

Is "I guess you're not much of a pimp," an insult or a compliment?

Anonymous said...

Something I keep meaning to post about: how do you indicate that someone's a prostitute in a modern cartoon? The visible tops of old-fashioned stockings plus a (bad!) cigarette is the signifier in, I think, Matt Diffee's last cartoon, but how to signify "trampy" in a city/world where everyone from Upper East Side debs to 12-year-old girls wear naughty t-shirts and leather boots with fishnets--it's an artistic challenge!