Sunday, August 26, 2007

Yeah, I'd like a large pizza, half sausage, half consecrated hosts

Domino's Pizza founder converts Florida wilderness to "Ave Maria," an 11,000-home community

I simply don't get the urge to self-segregate like that, though I guess it's pretty much like the NY towns that are mostly Orthodox. And some of the towns that built near those megachurches out west that are mostly fundamentalist. But I can't help but think this is a bad idea. (And yes, Sunnis and Shias, I'm also looking at you.)

Aside from that, I also wanted to point out this truly bizarre bit of writing on the second page of the story:

The boy who once had holes in his socks could now afford diamonds on the soles of his shoes.

Wha?? Other than the writer being a big fan of Paul Simon's Graceland album, that's just inexplicable, and it really shouldn't have gotten by an editor.


fermicat said...

Wouldn't that cause his shoes to scratch up hardwood floors something fierce?

mark said...

"Proving that he man who became a fundamentalist way back in 1989 is still crazy after all these years."

That one would have worked.

punkinsmom said...

Nothing like 11000 mcmansions in the middle of a swamp. I hope he's having the gators blessed.