I've long considered myself a bit of a movie geek. But looking at the American Film Institute's 100 Films ... 100 Movies list makes me realize how many notable films I've never seen. (Note: These are all American films. I'm probably even more behind on foreign releases.)
2. The Godfather. Yes, The Godfather. I was too young for it when it first came out, and ... I dunno, I never got around to renting it. I have, however, seen a good chunk of that re-edited-for-TV cut that puts Godfather and Godfather II scenes in chronological order. But not the whole thing, and, purist that I am, that just doesn't count. It's been on AMC lately, but I hate watching serious films with commercials these days.
11. City Lights. I have seen quite a bit of Charlie Chaplin, but never got to this one.
12. The Searchers. I'm not big on Westerns.
32. The Godfather, Part II. But here's the odd thing. I have seen Godfather III, I think because I was working through a crush on Andy Garcia.
36. Bridge on the River Kwai. Though I could hum the "Col. Bogie March" for you.
37. The Best Years of Our Lives. I probably saw pieces of this on TV when I was a kid, but not the whole thing, and I don't remember it at all.
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Same as above.
49. Intolerance. Oh, I get why it's important, but does anyone really want to sit through this?
59. Nashville. In general, I don't like Altman. But I did enjoy the first half of this. Still, I didn't have time to watch the whole thing and it was due back at Blockbuster, so I can't count it.
67. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? But I've read the play.
79. The Wild Bunch.
82. Sunrise. Another silent film--one I'd really like to see.
90. Swingtime. Musicals don't do much for me, even of the Rogers/Astaire variety.
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy.
There are a few others--In the Heat of the Night, The French Connection, The Apartment--that I'm pretty sure I saw all of, but a long time ago, and I really don't remember them. And if I don't remember them, do they count?
So, what haven't you seen? TVB regular God Is My Codependent has never seen Star Wars or any--that's right any--Bond film.
And for the record, of all the ones on the list that I've seen, the only one I've taken an active dislike to is Pulp Fiction. I hereby nominate it as most overrated of all time.