Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mushrooms: Not always magic


It's been ages since we've explored the recipe files of Jeanne Metzger Feinberg. Let's see what's for dinner.

Photobucket


Hmm. Is that a bowl of eyes? Because I'm pretty sure it's staring at me.

I also give you one illustration of the fact that mushrooms go with everything, just for the halibut.

Photobucket

I'm not a big fan of fish, but is halibut really supposed to be that color?

Concerned reader Grammarian points me toward this article on "the doyenne of food writers" Elizabeth David. Her comments are quite funny, but, seriously, if she thought Italian Salad is the "most revolting dish ever devised," I beg to differ, and offer as evidence bologna wedgies, supper sandwiches, and meatza. If you have a favorite revolting dish, do share.

UPDATE: Punkinsmom offers a Scandinavian treat.

UPDATE UPDATE: I see your ancestors' jellied fish in tomato juice and raise you my Scottish grandmother's potted head. Um, not actually her potted head. But, still. (For the record, she hated haggis and was otherwise a marvelous cook.)

7 comments:

Dave said...

I've no imagination: spam and okra.

punkinsmom said...

I've got your meatza topped easily. Check tomorrow morning for my post.

Knatolee said...

Lordy, my mother was forever serving me canned mushrooms!!

Awesome graphics.

punkinsmom said...

Ok, Jim, I can't beat a boiled sheep head in any of my ancestral food choices. You win based on what people in your family ate. But there's always Iceland. I know of no other place on earth with more disgusting food. Even my mother has not eaten this.

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

I found a couple of really ill recipes net surfing. Here's one for Provincial Macaroni Salad that is making me ill just looking at it.

And a comment there led me to this recipe for a Scandinavian treat I'm sure punkinsmom will appreciate, Flygande Jacob.

Jim Donahue said...

OMG, Flygande Jacob may be the winner in the revulsion sweepstakes, though it's not helping that I already feel sick.

Jim Donahue said...

When I have time, I may transcribe a recipe from "Bizarre Books" that involves an apple stuffed w/ canned frog. But Flygande Jacob is even worse.