Monday, April 25, 2005

Yes, it's that time of year again

Oh, the bells, bells, bells!
What a tale their terror tells
Of Despair!
How they clang, and clash, and roar!
What a horror they outpour
On the bosom of the palpitating air!

--Edgar Allan Poe


Yes, the bells are ringing again, from about noon till the sun goes down. Just slightly quieter than the SST. Just slightly less incessant than a thousand cicadas. Just slightly less annoying than a migraine.

Yes, of course I speak of the ice-cream truck.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Look, I like ice cream--no, I love ice cream. But, honestly, if I hear those bells one more time, followed by a blaring rendition of "Pop Goes the Weasel," well, there's no telling what I might do.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On the other hand, the second song the truck plays--"Music-Box Dancer"--absolutely rocks.


.

3 comments:

NYPinTA said...

Where I grew up, we didn't have an ice cream truck. We had a donut truck. No kidding. Nothing like eating a sugar coated pastry on a hot summer day! ;)

Jim Donahue said...

Mmmmmm... doughnuts...

Anonymous said...

Do you know the words to the Mr. Softee song?

I do. nyah, nyah, nyah. (I also know the words to the second verse of "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window" and the second verse of "Jingle Bells.")

And for the smallest effort of Internet sleuthing, you can to. Heck, you can even play it on the piano at home!

Somehow, it helps in putting up with it, if you can sing along. Plus, you amaze everyone within earshot.