Thursday, July 20, 2006

Malan, we hardly knew ye

I admit it. I'm completely obsessed with Project Runway.

Oh, forget the gay stereotypes. I haven't bought myself a single item of clothing in the last year and I don't give a rat's ass about fashion. And reality shows usually bore me to tears.

But for some reason, this program just entertains me no end--probably because when you boil it down, the show isn't so much about fashion as it is creativity under the gun. For those who haven't seen Project Runway (and since Bravo reruns the hell out of it, you really have no excuse), it's a fashion-design competition. Contestants are assigned a design challenge (say, create an outfit from items found at the supermarket, or based on photographs you've taken on the street) and have to come up with something very quickly--I think it's 48 hours from sketch to the runway, where the results are judged by a panel of experts. No one has to eat a bug or sing the collected works of Barry Manilow, just a) have a great idea and b) the skills to pull it off.

And the contestants! They're ... they're ... well, they're completely crazy, for the most part. But crazy in interesting ways. Even if you want to strangle them.

The only thing that could possible make this show better is if they found a polar bear in the workroom and a hidden hatch under the floor.

2 comments:

NYPinTA said...

My excuse for not seeing it is that I've been avoiding it like the plague.
But yesterday I decided to watch "The Next Design Star" on HGTV where they are looking for the next interior designer to give a show too. It's also creativity under the gun and a crazy woman that covers trashed vacuum cleaners in plaster and calls it art. Seriously.

isthisrob said...

And that Tim Gunn is H-O-T-T!

(and I'm straight! honest.)