Friday, November 09, 2007

WTF?: Bacon Edition

I was in the supermarket the other day and saw this:

Now, I like bacon. I really, really like bacon. I don't eat it a lot, but once in a while, I'll splurge and get Applegate Farms' Sunday bacon. It's pretty damned amazing--what all bacon should aspire to taste like.

I also like beef. A nice steak? Mmmmmmmmmmm, yes, please.

But beef bacon? Beef?? There's just something inherently wrong with that.

I'm going to take a leap here and guess this is a Southern thing. As The Velvet Blog has a few readers down South, I'm going to ask you chime in here. Have you had this? Is it as odd as it sounds?

I mean ... turkey bacon is understandable. I don't particularly like it, but I understand it. It's for people who like bacon but for health or religious reasons avoid it. (Tofu bacon and the like, though, please take the next train out of town. Soybeans should not pretend they're meat.) But for some reason, the idea of beef bacon makes me feel mildly ill.

UPDATE: Hmm. More investigation on this serious matter is warranted. The brand of beef bacon in my local Stop & Shop is made in .... Brooklyn!

4 comments:

MsYvone said...

I'm with you on the "That's just Wrong" factor on this one. I'm not sure if I qualify for "southern" though... I've only been in Atlanta for 14 years. I still insist that the North Won the War.

Dave said...

Flat beef jerky? Got to be Northern, though I grew up in Detroit, and we didn't have it. I'm going to check for it next time I shop and will report back.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....I havent tried it too.. I doubt if it's as delicious as the usual bacons.

Anonymous said...

I'm a South Carolina gone Tennessee girl and I have never heard of this bacon blasphemy. Hopefully, it will soon pass.