Friday, January 13, 2006

You say Ee-sold, I say Ee-sold-uh

Seriously, now--why make a big-budget Hollywood movie about a story people have been telling for centuries and then MISPRONOUNCE THE NAME OF ONE OF THE TWO MAIN CHARACTERS? Every time I hear the ad for this movie, I cringe.

"I think it's better if we don't bother with names," Isolde says in the trailer. Well, yes--that might be a good idea.

It's not just the narrator of the trailer, either. The film was reviewed by Kenneth Turan on NPR's "All Things Considered" this morning, and Isolde was mispronounced in clips, too. Especially odd was that Turan said the name correctly, and liked the movie, but never commented on the way the heroine's name was pronounced.

Say it with me: Ee-sold-uh.

There--I knew you could.

(By the way, I stand ready to be hypercorrected--has the name been mispronounced for centuries? And, for that matter, was Tristan really a James Dean wannabe?)


Hello, Defamer readers: Other entertainment-related posts conveniently located here.