Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I Heart Froomkin

Dan Froomkin's online-only column for the Washington Post is must-reading. He also does a once-a-week chat with readers, from which this wonderful exchange comes:

Beafort, S.C.: Mr. Froomkin --

The "compromise" on detainee rights/suspected terrorist treatment sure looks to me like [the president] got what he wanted, while the McCain/Warner/Graham trio pretty much caved.

Assuming this take on the situation is correct -- how does Bush still weld so much power when he is so wildly unpopular?

Dan Froomkin: That is a great question. It deserves attention.

Off the top of my head, I think it has a lot to do with intimidation by Karl Rove and Dick Cheney. One scares them about losing; the other scares them about dying.

That made me laugh out loud. Then I shivered a little. 'Cause it's true.

1 comment:

Bix said...

That was a great question ... how does he continue to wield so much power.