Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Charles Nelson Reilly is [blank]

CNR on the Tonight Show, back when talk shows had amusing people on to talk, rather than to flog their movie opening on Friday. Note how Johnny lights up a cigarette towards the end. When was the last time you saw a TV host do that?



The theme to Lidsville. Jeez, it's ENDLESS!:



On Match Game:



From Millennium, an X-Files spin-off. He was terrific in the recurring part of Jose Chung. Look fast for a Neil Simon cameo:



Another Jose Chung clip, this one from X-Files:

3 comments:

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

Reilly gave what is without question the worst performance in a Neil Simon play I have ever seen. He was Felix in a Florida dinner theater production of The Odd Couple that was videotaped and shown on cable. It was absolutely embarrassing.

punkinsmom said...

I loved Charles Nelson Reilly! Especially the glasses. And the fact that he was so flaming you could almost roast marshmallows off the man. He made Wayland Flowers look straight. (Alright, maybe he wasn't that out there, but still--)
I was a Match Game addict at a very young age due largely to him. (Oh, and Gene Rayburn's microphone.)

Jim Donahue said...

Upon seeing "Match Game" reruns on the Game Show Network a few years ago, I was really suprised at how smutty it got. I can't believe I used to watch it with my grandma!