Friday, May 25, 2007

The War on Spelling

From an article on Yahoo this morning, on misspelled search terms:

What are the common words that vex our searchers? We applied our best spell checking skills to the data and came up with this list of the top 20 misspelled words in Search ...

Wallmart (Wal-Mart)
Rachel Ray (Rachael Ray)
Amtrack (Amtrak)
Hillary Duff (Hilary Duff)
Katherine McPhee (Katharine McPhee) ...

Ack! This means I've been misspelling Rachael Ray the entire time I've been writing this blog.

I am terribly, terribly embarrassed.

Don't worry, Rachael. I've gone back and corrected it in the haiku I wrote in your honor, although it's still wrong in the URL to that entry. (How come that doesn't change anymore when you fix a subject line? It used to.)

5 comments:

punkinsmom said...

Rachael Ray doesn't deserve to have her name spelled correctly. Someone needs to smack that obnoxious grin off her face. Perhaps the misspellings might do the trick.

Peter said...

So Yahoo search engine users either a) invariably spell "Condoleezza" correctly, or b) are more interested in Hilary Duff's life than they are in American foreign policy.

I wonder which it is...

Dave said...

So who says Ms. Ray's parents get to choose the correct spelling over you?

fermicat said...

Is anyone besides me amused/annoyed when you enter an unusual search query and the results page has "Did you mean ____?" at the top? Usually I mean exactly what I typed, thankyouverymuch.

ChefNick said...

Ahh god, Rachael's so obnoxious she needs to be put in quarantine.

Only a pervert would add an "a" to Rachel so that's who deserves to be truly punished. Ray herself should shave her head and become a monk.