Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dogs: I love 'em, but they're still a mystery


Leafing through the latest catalog from pet suppliers Drs. Foster & Smith, I happened upon a product called Dis-Taste. What does it do? Well, I best quote the catalog:
Improved formulas created by our veterinarians help break the disturbing habit of stool eating.

I know a Great Dane that ate most of an ottoman. Wonder if it works for that, too.
Dis-Taste helps by making feces taste awful to your dog.

Ooooooo. Wrong stools. Sorry.
Formulas pass through the intestines and react with stools to make them unpalatable.

Exactly what makes poop taste worse than poop? Because, I have to say, that's pretty high on the list of unpalatable. I'm assuming they used dog focus groups to find this out. The catalog, however, gives not a hint.

The online description of Dis-Taste, however, spills the beans:
Our veterinarians created this formula to halt this habit with monosodium glutamate PLUS oleoresin capsicum, the active ingredient in chili peppers.

Oh, great. Now I have to wonder what the MSG in cheap fast food is covering up.

3 comments:

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

My dog Buddy loves pepperoni. I'm sure if we eased him onto it, he'd enjoy chili peppers.

Will said...

With dog focus groups, Jim, you are once again ahead of the curve. Perhaps a new reality series? Sounds like a job for Sonia. Sonia where are you? I miss you on my television talking to the animals.

Knatolee said...

The only thing my dog Sophie would like more than eating poop is eating seasoned poop!