Tuesday, May 16, 2006

By coincidence, all these songs are on my mixtape titled "I'd Rather Die Than Listen to These Songs Again"

From Snopes:

According to a 2002 poll of co-op funeral directors in Britain, the ten most requested pop songs at funeral services are:
1. Wind Beneath My Wings (Bette Midler)
2. My Heart Will Go On (Celine Dion)
3. I Will Always Love You (Whitney Houston)
4. Simply the Best (Tina Turner)
5. Angels (Robbie Williams)
6. You'll Never Walk Alone (Gerry & the Pacemakers)
7. Candle in the Wind (Elton John)
8. Unchained Melody (The Righteous Brothers)
9. Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon & Garfunkel)
10. Time to Say Goodbye (Sarah Brightman)

Only kidding when it comes to "Bridge Over Troubled Water." It's a great song--actually, it's the only recording on the list that I like--but I wouldn't want it played at my funeral. Too sad.

On the other hand:
That same 2002 poll of co-op funeral directors in Britain identified the following as the ten most-requested quirky pop songs:
1. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (The Platters)
2. Another One Bites the Dust (Queen)
3. Theme from ITN's Ten O'Clock News
4. She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain (Various)
5. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go (Wham)
6. YMCA (Village People)
7. I Wanna Be Like You (from the Disney film The Jungle Book)
8. Run Rabbit Run (Flanagan & Allen)
9. Firestarter (The Prodigy)
10. Atmosphere (Russ Abbot)

People are weird.

So, any thoughts as to what you do or don't want played at your funeral?

UPDATE: I can't come up with a song I'd like. I was leaning toward Jane Siberry's "Love Is Everyhing," but I've decided it's too downbeat. Weird Al's "Another One Rides the Bus" seemed wrong, too.

Instead, I will arrange for a screening of the Mary Tyler Moore episode "Chuckles Bites the Dust." It's a classic.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tryin' To Get To Heaven.
http://bobdylan.com/songs/tryin.html

Anonymous said...

LOL my funeral may be closer than we think.
Songs?
Dang!
IF I had to choose right now.. in this time or space.... I would say Almost Heaven West Virginia.
But. . . I would want it followed by a rousing chorus of Calling All Angels by Train.

Anonymous said...

Spinning Around.

Gina said...

You would think that with my funereal background (two funeral director uncles), I would have much more of my post-morteum celebration planned out. I don't. Thanks for the reminder to get my will and DNR papers in order.

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

"Is That All There Is?", written by Leiber and Stoller.

Or "Shut It Tight" by T Bone Burnett. Depending on what my last mood was.

fakies said...

It's a shame I don't have a different name. I would like Janie's Got a Gun.

unclewilly said...

Sinatra's "Put Your Dreams Away." It was good enough for him.

punkinsmom said...

You're so cute with your mixtapes....



There will be no songs at my funeral. You won't be able to hear them anyway over the wailing and renting of garments and gnashing of teeth.