Thursday, May 18, 2006

Lesson: Don't believe everything you read

So, I was looking for Chaucer quotations for yesterday's "If sock monkeys were ..." post. And I found a page with a bunch of them, and it doesn't appear to be a wiki.

But halfway down the page is this:

Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again, so is a bicycle repair kit.
Canterbury Tales, Wife of Bath's Prologue

Not very Chaucerian, eh?

So I ran a search on the quote, and it seems to be by Scottish comedian Billy Connelly.

What an odd mix-up.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Chaucer


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Billy Connelly

Ah, now I see where the confusion comes from.

4 comments:

fakies said...

I love Billy Connelly. He needs to play in more movies. Chaucer is only good in supporting roles.

Gina said...

Thanks! I have coffee dripping out of my nose.

punkinsmom said...

Are you suggesting that the wife of Bath didn't have a repair kit for her bicycle? I'm so disillusioned.

Anonymous said...

I have a theory that Billy Connelly is John Cleese in a fright wig.