Thursday, October 13, 2005

Up the Amazon

Usually, I find Amazon's recommendations--for music and books, anyway--to be just about unerring. Somehow, it figures out what you'd like based on what you've already bought and how highly you've rated your purchases.

But I noticed something very odd when I went looking for a new DVD player, because my old one is crapping out.

When Amazon recommended this Philips model, it's because I once looked at a nonstick sheet for making cookies.

And the reason Amazon thought I'd like this Cyberhome DVD player is because I picked up a Monopoly set.

It seems a bit of stretch.

But here's the weird thing: The Cyberhome model will let me play DVDs from anywhere in the world, which is actually a function I'd like.

How did Amazon know???

2 comments:

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

So people who buy cooking sheets want DVD players that don't play discs from all over but people who buy Monopoly sets do?

NYPinTA said...

non-stick cookie sheets mean you don't like commitment... same with a DVD player that will play DVDs from around the world.

Or not.