Wednesday, January 17, 2007

This brings me one step closer to my dream of opening a nationwide string of Monkey Maids franchises

Escaped Chimp Gets Snack, Cleans Bathroom

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- An escaped chimpanzee at the Little Rock Zoo raided a kitchen cupboard and did a little cleaning with a toilet brush before sedatives knocked her out on top of a refrigerator.

I'd have thrown her a banana and pointed out where I keep the Swiffer. But perhaps that's just me.
The 120-pound primate, Judy, escaped yesterday into a service area when a zookeeper opened a door to her sleeping quarters, unaware the animal was still inside.

As keepers tried to woo Judy back into her cage, she rummaged through a refrigerator where chimp snacks are stored. She opened kitchen cupboards, pulled out juice and soft drinks and took a swig from bottles she managed to open.

Note to self: Lock liquor cabinet before inviting potential employees over for Monkey Maids interviews.
Keeper Ann Rademacher says Judy went into the bathroom, picked up a toilet brush and cleaned the toilet. Rademacher says the 37-year-old Judy was a house pet before the zoo acquired her in 1988, so she may have been familiar with housekeeping chores. Judy wrung out a sponge and scrubbed down the fridge.

Scrubbed down the fridge? Scrubbed down the fridge??? I think I'm in love.
It took a couple of tries, but the zoo sedated the chimp, who fell asleep on top of the refrigerator with half a loaf of cinnamon-raisin bread she had pulled out of the freezer.

The zoo veterinarian gave Judy a drug to bring her around. Rademacher says Judy was groggy but fine after the episode.
--The Associated Press

I know it's only mid-January, but this is already officially my Favorite News Story of the Year.

No comments: