Sunday, August 26, 2007

Yeah, I'd like a large pizza, half sausage, half consecrated hosts

Domino's Pizza founder converts Florida wilderness to "Ave Maria," an 11,000-home community

I simply don't get the urge to self-segregate like that, though I guess it's pretty much like the NY towns that are mostly Orthodox. And some of the towns that built near those megachurches out west that are mostly fundamentalist. But I can't help but think this is a bad idea. (And yes, Sunnis and Shias, I'm also looking at you.)

Aside from that, I also wanted to point out this truly bizarre bit of writing on the second page of the story:

The boy who once had holes in his socks could now afford diamonds on the soles of his shoes.

Wha?? Other than the writer being a big fan of Paul Simon's Graceland album, that's just inexplicable, and it really shouldn't have gotten by an editor.

3 comments:

fermicat said...

Wouldn't that cause his shoes to scratch up hardwood floors something fierce?

Anonymous said...

"Proving that he man who became a fundamentalist way back in 1989 is still crazy after all these years."

That one would have worked.

punkinsmom said...

Nothing like 11000 mcmansions in the middle of a swamp. I hope he's having the gators blessed.