Wednesday, May 27, 2009

No, the replacement does not involve a monkey getting spanked


One of my work duties involves checking over the magazine's home page for typos and bad links.

This morning, as I poked around the site looking for problems, I got to a promo blurb for a report on "network chokepoints" -- that is, places on a computer network where applications grind to a halt. This was illustrated with a photo of a man's hand around the neck of a (rubber) chicken, choking it.

Yes, he was choking the chicken.

I stared at it awhile, in disbelief.

The following IM conversation followed:

Me: Um ... did you pick the art for the home page for the chokepoint story?

Editor: Yes. Bottleneck, chokepoint.

Me: Have you heard the expression "choking the chicken"? 'Cause I must say it's the first thing that came to mind.

Editor: No ... should I have heard it? Lemme Google.

Editor: Oh!!

Editor: Hmmm ... Well.

Me: What, you were never in junior high school?

(Postscript: She changed it. Immediately.)

1 comment:

TwoBusy said...

I so very, very deeply envy you that conversation.