Thursday, March 10, 2011

As opposed to a Galaxy in your driveway


For a long while, I've had a dim memory of receiving a 2001 comic book at Howard Johnson's. That doesn't really make sense, does it? I mean, have you seen that movie lately? It is, shall we say, slow. While I admire 2001 for reasons I can't quite explain (TVB regular God Is My Codependent, not a fan, has grilled me on this), 2001 is perhaps the least kiddie-friendly G-rated film ever. So, I must have dreamed the whole HoJo's tie-in, right?

Wrong. Yesterday, I stumbled over this:



The whole thing is here.

My primary point is: Movie execs had very odd ideas about what kids liked back then. In 1968, when 2001 opened and I was 6, I was a big fan of Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp and The Banana Splits. There is no way I could have made it through 2001. What the hell were they smoking?

My secondary point is: Pretty much everything is on the Internet, or will be soon.


(Correction: I see Lancelot Link didn't debut until 1970, but my point still stands.)

No comments: