Thursday, March 08, 2007

Remember when you heard new songs on the radio instead of in TV commercials?

May 8 update: For those of you who have stumbled over this entry hoping to discover who does the song in the current J.C. Penney commercial: It's Joshua Radin's cover of "Only You," a song originally performed by Yazoo (a.k.a. Yaz). And yes, it's on iTunes.


A couple of months ago, I found myself looking forward to an oft-repeated TV ad for Target that featured a song I hadn't heard before and couldn't identify. A little sleuthing unearthed its ID as "Fly Me Away," by Goldfrapp--whose debut CD I own, but the track came from an album I was unfamiliar with, and somehow I didn't recognize the lead singer's voice. iTunes to the rescue.

More recently, I've been unable to get unstuck from my brain a song that's being used in J.C. Penney's current ads. It's by a band called Forever Thursday, and the track streams from that link. Yes, I'm a sucker for whispy female vocals, and I like the repetitive woodwind thing going on in the background.

As there seems to be no more music by Forever Thursday anywhere on the Internet, I'm not sure if it's a "real" band or not. The vocalist on the song is Melanie Horsnell, and I like that Beatlesque first song she has streaming on her MySpace page, "I Just Want Some Love."

So, what have you discovered lately?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I "discovered" Richard Bruckner via a snippet of 'Ariel Ramirez' on some long forgotten commercial. Been in love ever since.

What can I say... I'm a sucker for deep and moody male vocals.

Thanks for asking!

Jim Donahue said...

Don't know the name--I'll him him up.

fermicat said...

"I'll him him up."

Sounds kind of dirty... ;-)

Jim Donahue said...

Yeesh--and I'm a copy editor. Not enough coffee yet.

MsYvone said...

MORE... a little bit MORE...of that Target jingle, can't get it out of my head.