Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Time to time (to time)

I love movies, and I love a good, well-thought-out time-travel plot. (Yeah, I can be a bit of geek.)

The low-budget (reportedly $7,000!) film Primer was a big hit at the Sundance festival and the art-house circuit a few years ago, and I finally caught up with it on DVD last fall. I meant to write about it at the time, but never got around to it. A few mentions on other blogs recently got me thinking about it again.

I'm a fairly intelligent guy. (That's hard to tell by reading this blog, but I swear it's true.) But I simply couldn't wrap my brain around this movie. Not only could I not tell when things were happening, I couldn't even figure what the characters were trying to do, other than scam the stock market.

Here's the most complete summary of Primer's plot I could find.

I defy anyone to read that and not go diving for the economy-size bottle of Excedrin in the medicine cabinet. Complexity is one thing ... this is another.

Now, why hasn't Jack Finney's Time and Again ever been filmed? It would seem a natural.

1 comment:

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

Don't look at me. I'm still trying to figure out The Sting.