Sunday, February 22, 2009

Postcard of the day



July 14, 1936

Dear Bobby:

I like Radio City the best of all. It is hotter in Lanc. than here, I'm sure, but rubber heels were pulled from the shoes of men & women by the sticky asphalt pavements here.

Love from Mimi


I'm probably in the minority of postcard collectors, but I snatch them up just as much (or more?) for the messages on the back as for the art. They're perfect little time capsules. This one's practically poetry. I think it's the artful use of the passive voice.

As usual, click to embiggen.

2 comments:

fermicat said...

I like the fronts and backs of old postcards. I've photoshopped a few of my photographs to look like them.

ChefNick said...

Yes, it is oddly compelling . . . the way they used to talk (or write!) -- so formal, so schoolmarmish.

From the age of the telegram . . . I guess they had to condense everything to the fewest-possible words. Not like me!

But charming nonetheless.